In my article on Tadasana, I’ve explained few common instructions applicable to all the asanas.
In the current stress-ridden times, fitness seems to dominate as the important mantra in all professions and at all levels of age. Relaxation is a great art. Those who know how to relax know how to lead a perfect life. Relaxation does not mean, stretch out legs lying on a reclining chair. Total relaxation refers to the body as well as the mind. Each and every molecule of the body should feel light and energetic—this is relaxation. An individual, whose body is free from toxins, and whose mind is devoid of negativities, is able to enjoy relaxation. Such an individual tastes the beauty of life and is able to carry on the duty of life free from all sorts of tensions.
The sages who eulogize Shilasana are aware of the eternal fact that all the imbalances in the body have their origin in the mind. Mental problems and emotional issues like depression and stress have their roots in the mind and ultimately show their ill-effects in the body as diseases like hypertension, blood pressure etc. Shithilasana is one such asana where the relaxation part dominates over the exercise part.
Method / Technique of Shithilasana
- The objective is, the entire body and mind must experience the feeling of relaxation. This asana is done effortlessly, without putting pressure on any part of the body; rather the pressure is taken off. Let your mind be alert, the asana is so relaxing, it may induce sleep. The proper thing to do is to breathe slowly and deeply, concentrating on the breath.
- Lie flat on the carpet. The full weight of the body is on the abdomen. Rest the right ear on the ground and then stretch the right arm and the left leg. Keep the forefingers of the right foot straight. Fold the left foot slowly and bring it to ninety degree. Get the heel of the left foot to touch the right knee.
- Place the left palm in front of the face in such a way that it is lodged equidistance to the upper arm. Relax both the shoulders in such a way that the lungs touch the ground. Breathe normally and stay on this posture and feel fully relaxed through all parts of the body. Do the same process from the other side.
- The important factor to concentrate is the breath, both inhaling and exhaling. While performing this asana, there should be no stiffness in the body; all parts need to be kept loose.
- Curing insomnia with medication leads to many acute side-effects. This asana is supposed to be certain cure for insomnia. As you do this asana with the intent of challenging insomnia, take cherry juice regularly, which will also assist the cure.
- Provides total relief to the tired muscles of the body.
- It invigorates the individual to ready for the schedule of difficult asanas.
- Regulates blood pressure; makes its flow even.
- The abdomen-related asanas need to be followed up by a complete round of Shithilasana.
- You do this asana in the most benevolent position. You are lying on the lap of Mother Earth. Cultivate this great feeling as you do this asana.
- Can be done by any age group. Pregnant ladies must avoid this asana.