When the peon of the office is absent, heads turn repeatedly towards the working female executives who are not supposed to prepare tea. But it is tea time. As females, feminine instincts propel them towards kitchen and then there is applause of hearty thanks for the quality of tea from the male group. The chief executive officer could be a female, but she does not hesitate to serve if there is a celebration inside the office. The presence of women in the office ensures warmth, trust and decency in decorum.
In a country like India, gradually male chauvinism is breaking, paving paths for women for taking up reins in every important matter. If you are feeling ill at ease in adjusting your self in the atmosphere of your office, the following suggestions can be helpful for you.
- Maintain your punctuality and integrity- Time is most important in the official schedule. Unnecessary waste of time and disobeying the deadlines in official work make others resentful. Here two things are important for you; the first is reaching the office in time and the second is maintaining the deadlines in completing the works. If you are sincere in both the matters then your seniors appreciate you and judge discreetly if there are minor aberrations. If you feel you are under too much pressure, do not hesitate to ask colleagues to cooperate humbly. But be mindful not to repeat it.
- Stay off from taking leave frequently- It is usually found that absenteeism in female staff is higher. This creates a bad impression about you in the office. High percentage in attendance makes everyone feel about your integrity.
- Never eat on the desk where you work- It goes in a bad taste if you open your launch-box on the desk where you work. At times you may take a piece of snack where you work. But make sure to take your Tiffin or meal only at the canteen in your office.
- Be keen on improving mutual understanding- You may like to keep the windows of the office room open but your colleague can have a different wish. She might be heading for a confrontation over this. Apply your observation about the things, which usually irritate people and develop your understanding about them. Every office has a different system of functioning. Can a share broker’s office function in the same way like that of a company in information technology? May be not.
- Empower your dressing- Try to know what suits you best for official dressing. If your office has a code for wearing official uniform, it is alright. If your office allows you to wear as per your choice, then be discreet with what you wear. The purpose of wearing is to look presentable and neat in your clothes. Your clothes and make-up must endorse what you say. Again your dressing pattern should add grace to your age and designation.
- Be careful when you talk in your phone- Avoid talking excessively in your cell-phone. Be precise and brief while you receive calls officially. There are people who keep on browsing through the numbers in their cell-phones. Usually it is taken in a bad taste.
- Stay away from adding over-tones to the words of people around you- Every office faces tension while it functions in its day-to-day routine. You may be hearing words which are not pleasant to hear. Do not interpret such things mentally because it creates psychological blocks disabling you to perform. There are things with no meaning which are said in the hectic, tense day –to-day functions of the office.
- Rumors can have dangerous impacts on your career- There are people who deliberately plant rumors in the atmosphere of the office. At least you should not be the person to neither believe in those nor by any chance discuss about those inside the office. The same persons who create rumors can pass the bucks entirely in your name, terming you as responsible for this. Rumors are usually created with the intention of creating politics inside the office. Here the intention of those people is to cast a dull effect over your spirit to perform.
- Never lend a word to the discussion about your Boss’s private life and attitudes- We hope, you might have seen such writing that – “Whatever your Boss might say or do, but he is your Boss”. There are people who secretly discuss about the seniors’ faults and private things. Gradually it creates resentment inside you towards people in your higher echelons, barring you to work naturally with enthusiasm. Whenever you hear such discussion, never say a single word in support of such things and keep silence.