Today I will discuss about a few breakfast recipes which are simple to make and very tasty at the same time. Lets prepare palak puri along with chana dal and adrakhi dum aloo for breakfast. So lets not waste time and take down the ingredients.
1 cup of wheat flour/ refined flour,
I tsp of oil or ghee for dough,
1 tsp sugar for dough,
Salt to taste,
Vegetable oil for frying
1) Blanch the spinach leaves in boiling water.
2) Remove the spinach leaves and cut it into small pieces.
3) Mix the palak pieces in the at flour , mix in salt, sugar, ghee or oil while kneading into semi-hard dough.
4) Keep the dough covered for about 10 minutes with a muslin cloth.
5) Divide into 16 equal sized balls and roll into disc shape.
6) Deep fry in hot oil.
7) Serve hot palak poori with dal or sabji.
Shahi Chana Dal / Cholar Dal
2 cup chana dal,
Coconut pieces – ½ cup,
Raisins – 1-2 tbsp,
Tomato cubes – ½ cup,
Asafoetida – 1pinch,
Ginger paste – 1tbsp,
Red chilly – 2-3 nos.
Bay leaves, – 1-2 nos,
Whole garam masala – 1tbsp,
Turmeric powder 1 tbsp,
2tbsp vegetable oil,
1 tbsp ghee
1) Soak the chana dal for 3-4 hours and then boil it along with salt and turmeric powder in a pressure cooker.
2) Heat oil in a pan. Add the jeera seeds, bay leaves and the red chilly.
3) Once the jeera seeds are fried add the coconut pieces, raisins, garam masala and the tomato slices.
4) Once the tomato is fried add the boiled dal to it and wait till it starts boiling. If the consistency of the dal is too thick then add warm water to reduce the consistency.
5) Boil for 5-10 minutes. Add the ghee before turning off the gas.
6) Serve hot with Palak puri.
Adrakhi Dum Aloo
500 gm small potatoes,
Ginger paste – ½ cup,
Garlic Paste – 2tbsp, (optional – may omit due to religious purpose)
Tomato Puree – 1 cup,
Whole Garam Masala – 1tbsp,
Oil – 2tbsp,
Red chilly – 1-2 chilly,
Bay leaves – 1-2 leaves,
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp (chopped)
1)Take a pressure cooker and heat the oil.
2)Once the oil is heated add the whole garam masala , red chilly and the bay leaves.
3)Add the tomato puree and fry for 5 minutes. Then add the ginger paste and the garlic paste. Fry till the oil is separated from the gravy.
4)Add the potatoes and salt to taste. Fry for 5-7 minutes.Before adding the potatoes prick them with a fork so that the gravy can seep inside the potato.
5)Close the lid of the pressure cooker and wait for 3-4 whistles.
6)Don’t open the lid by releasing the steam forcibly. Wait till the steam is released on its own. This helps to potato to be cooked till inside and the flavour of the ginger, garlic and tomato to embed within the potatoes.
7)After opening the pressure cooker add the coriander leaves and stir well.In this recipe there will not be too much gravy and the consistency will be almost dry.
Please note: In this recipe we have not used any water to boil the potatoes. The the mixture of tomato puree, ginger paste and garlic paste is used to boil the potato and as a result the flavour of them gets embedded in the potatoes.