There are several confusions around swine flu that has spread in India, in particular.
Let me list down the confusions:
- Is Swine flu similar to Common flu..? If yes then why are some people dying..?
- While it is reported that people with underlying diseases will succumb to the disease, even people with no underlying disease seems to have died in India. Why…?
- Is this strain of Virus different from other strains in the world..?
- Should we wear masks in crowded places..? Does that mean India should produce billion masks every day..
- What is the Indian Statistics on people who contracted the virus but survived..?
- Will this Virus spread in Air Conditioned offices more easily..? Should that mean we should switch of all Air conditioners..?
- What is the readiness of our Government if this swine flu becomes epidemic..?
- How can poor people living in slums, health care staff (not doctors, but support staff ranging from housekeeping, security to nurses) and others who are forced to work in unsafe environments be protected..? Can they afford masks everyday..?
- Why were Private Hospitals not prepared apriori for screening and testing for Virus..?
- Once our body fights swine flu virus, will it become immune to the virus..?
- Will the virus keep circulating amongst the Indian population continuously as some segments of population keeps falling as its victim after one another…?
- Local doctors are advising swine flu testing only if the person has some underlying diseases. In the meanwhile the person continues to infect everyone else with swine flu virus and in the process may infect someone with underlying disease and causing his death. Does that mean for any type of flu, the person should be quarantined..?
- It seems a person is capable of infecting others even after he becomes normal. But there are no specific guidelines for how long people should remain quarantined. What is becoming normal..? How many days should person stay away..? When does it start..? When it should end..? Generally our tendency is to start moving in once you start getting the OK feeling.
- Schools have been shut for 3-4 days now. How long can we remain shut..? What is the mexico experience teaching us..?
Well there are no clear answers to the above questions, atleast with me. But if someone has a clear answer and that too is doubly authentic, he/she is welcome to provide the same in this blog. I will update the answers immediately after the questions and this blog can become a running ‘FAQ’. I will also add any new questions to the blog, if it comes up from anyone.
One thing I can definitely say is that there is no reason to beleive rumors being spread on Swine Flu cure with Tulsi, Niligiris oil etc. While Tulsi is a great medicine in general, to say it cures Swine Flu virus is reckless rumor mongering. Similar is the case of Niligirs oil. Ayurved works totally differently. Our system of medicine was more about prevention than cure. Hence do not believe in such rumors. I am also not sure of Homeopathy in this regard.
In a lighter vein, I see a new kind of wine flu, I mean er.., swine flu spreading through corporates.
The symptoms include running nose, complaint of too much crowd, yearning for loneliness from office/wife and sometimes slight fever too.
The solution seems to be to subject the subject to isolation in a room with few bottles of ‘medicine’ and it seems the flu is gone forever. Most top ranking executives are having this wine flu now-a-days. Wine flu ranks above vacations now, when it comes to absence of work.