For the last few weeks, my family and I have found a new way to have fun. Post dinner, we switch off the television set, lock our home and venture out for a game of badminton. Amidst peals of laughter, swishing the shuttlecock from side to side and jumping in the hope of hitting it directly to the opponent’s side of the ground, we relax, rewind and rejuvenate. We also stay fit.
Exercise for many is a phobia. It is like a dreary routine that makes your body ache, muscles tighten, clothes wet with perspiration and leaves you huffing and puffing for breadth. Exercise is definitely all that and while you cannot change the end result of how your body reacts when you burn fat, you can definitely change your attitude towards exercising. And that can be done by knowing exactly what kind of exercise keeps you motivated enough to go on.
If your friend gets up in the wee hours of the morning regularly to hit the gym but you find the whole idea of people locked in a room with treadmills claustrophobic, chances are you will never motivate yourself to go to the gym everyday even if you become a lifetime member. Just like some people like singing more than painting, different people have different choices of the way they want to stay fit.
Take our example. Before we discovered badminton, my husband and I had decided to go for walks and also joining the local gymnasium. But as much as we spoke of the benefits of these activities, the walks never materialised and the gym register never saw our name. It might have been part laziness but it was more lack of motivation.
Experts believe that different people have different fitness types they fit into. Some wish to stay fit for keeping their blood pressure under control, some want to add muscles for a sports and some simply want to look good. Depending upon the age, reason for exercise and the type of person you are, you can fit into a particular fitness mould. These fitness moulds are,
- Functional Fitness – Includes activities like bowling, golf etc. that are not strenuous but helps you remain active. It is ideal for retired personals and senior citizens.
- Intrinsic Health related Fitness – This is for keeping the body fit from ailments such as cardiovascular problems, blood pressure, joint pains etc. For this exercise routine like yoga or tai chi are ideal that concentrate on healing particular parts or organs of the body.
- Complete body Fitness – It is what most people wish to achieve to look good and stay healthy. The gym routines are usually suited for this with focus on cardio, stretching, strength and flexible training.
- Athletic Fitness – It includes that kind of exercise that is achieved by playing a sport and for people like me who love burning fat through recreational sports.
- Professional Athletic Fitness – It is for specific people who wish to train for a particular sports or athletic event and concentrate on high level specialized training.
When you choose a fitness regime that you love to do every day, every week and every month, the whining automatically disappears. Then you do not mind the cold sweat or the aching body. You do not mind the waking up at dawn or the activity long after office hours. It is like your brain is constantly humming a lovable tune and coaxing you to go and do what you love to do.
It might be dancing, cycling, walking or jogging. It might be swimming, boxing or wrestling. It might be yoga or golf or karate. The important thing is to discover where you talents lie and what your brain treats as fun. Because when you conquer the mind, the body can automatically act to stay fit.