After 3 series of microwave recipes, I will conclude this series of recipes with 3 easy-to-make desserts or sweet dishes which can be made whenever you desire. Dessert or sweet dishes are must for any Indian household during any occasion or festive season. With the festive season knocking at the doors, today I will be sharing with you all a few such very simplified version of traditional sweet dishes which can be cooked esaily without compromising any time from the festive season.
Apple carrot kheer
Apple is one of the most nutritious fruit while carrot is known for its benefits. This dessert combines the benefit of both the items and not only is it healthy but easy-to-cook and also delicious at the same time.
1 apple peeled and grated,
1 cup grated carrot,
2 cup milk,
2 tbsp sweet condensed milk,
Sugar to taste,
1 tsp cardamom powder(elaichi powder),
Pistachio & cashewnut to garnish
1) Grate the carrot and apple.
2) Take 2 microwave safe bowls. In one bowl add 1 cup of milk and in another bowl add the remaining 1 cup of milk, grated carrot, grated carrot & sugar.
3) Put the two bowls(covered) in microwave and microwave at 80% for 8-10 minutes. Stir in between.
4) Take the mixture of the grated apple, carrot & milk in a mixer grinder and blend it. This blending is optional. You can also use the boiled mixture instead of the pureed mixture.
5) If you are blending the mixture then add the pureed mixture to the boiled milk in the first micro safe bowl and mix it well. Add the cardamom powder and condensed milk.
6) Then microwave the mixture at 50% for 10-15 minutes till the mixture is thickened. Stir in between. You can also increase or decrease the time of heating depending when the kheer is thickening.
7) Keep aside and allow to cool.
8) Refrigerate. Garnish with cashew nut and cardamom powder. Serve chilled.
Shahi Rice Kheer
Rice Kheer is a must for any Indian house in any occassion. Though I have seen my Mom & Grandma prepare this kheer on oven which took about 1-2 hour to prepare. I have tried in my own way to simplify the recipe and cook it in microwave.
50 gm basmati rice,
2 cups toned milk,
100 gm sugar / jaggery,
½ tsp of cardamom(elaichi) powder,
2 bay leaves,
Dry fruits of choice (cashew , almonds , pista , raisins )
1. Wash and soak rice for 15 -20 min. Drain the water.
2. In a deep microwave safe bowl , mix milk, rice, bay leaves and cardamom powder and boil at100% for 10 -12 min. Stir in between . Then microwave again at 50% power for 7 – 10 min.
3. Add sugar / jaggery and microwave at 50% power for 8 -10 min or till the milk kheer thickens. Allow to stand for 5 min.
4. Garnish with chopped nuts of your choice. Serve hot or chilled.
This is a perfect combination of soft and smooth phirni with fragrant coconut ,nutritious for you and your kids. This item is very easy to cook and can be cooked in microwave as well as on gas. The ingredients are almost available in anybody’s kitchen and can be made whenever desired.
1 cup milk,
½ cup fresh coconut (blended),
1 tsp rice flour,
2 tbsp jaggery (grated),
1 tsp ghee,
1) Mix all the ingredients (except jaggery) in a deep microwave safe bowl and microwave uncovered for 7-8 min. at 100% power . Stir in between.
2) Add jaggery and again microwave (covered) for 5-10 min. at 50% power level.
3) Mix thoroughly.
4) Garnish with cardamom, pistachio. Allow to cool and serve lukewarm.
Microwave Tips :
1. Microwave can be used to sterilize jars for storing homemade jams and pickles.
2. ’Cook’ your dishcloth in the microwave oven for 60 seconds to eliminate disease-causing microorganisms.
3. While cooking kheer if you find that the kheer is not thickening quickly or if the milk is a bit diluted, take 2 tbsp of rice flour. Mix the flour in 3-4 tbsp of milk and mix to the kheer. The kheer will thicken quickly.