After the starters in Microwave Cookbook -I, today I will be concentrating more on the main menu. Today I will elaborate on making Vegetable Fried Rice & Hot Garlic Chicken in microwave entirely. I often get request from my friends staying abroad for full microwave recipes, so I have modified the traditional menus so that they can be cooked entirely in microwave and also suit Indian taste at the same time.
Vegetable Fried Rice
1½ cup rice,
2 carrots(chopped into small cubes),
50gm French beans( chopped finely),
50gm cauliflower(chopped finely),
½ cup spring onion(chopped finely),
1 tbsp oil,
2 tbspn soya sauce,
1tbsp tomato sauce,
Salt, pepper to taste.
1) Wash and soak rice for ½ hour. Drain the water and add 3 cups of water and microwave uncovered on 100% for 7-8 minutes. Then microwave at 50% power for 4-5 minutes(covered). Keep aside and cool it.
2) In another microwave safe bowl add ½ cup water and chopped carrot, French beans, peas and microwave for 5 minutes at 100% power. Then add capsicum and chopped onion and microwave for another 2 min at 100% power. Keep aside the steamed veg.
3) Take the oil in a microwave safe dish and add all the streamed veg and microwave at 100% power for 2-3 minutes.
4) Now add all the spices, sauces and microwaved rice to it. Mix it thoroughly and microwabe at 80% power for 3-4 minutes. Standing time of 5-6 minutes is given.
5) Serve hot.
1) The above recipe is entirely done in microwave. But I myself don’t prefer the rice to be cooked in microwave as we are not straining the starch from the rice. I generally cook the rice in a sauce pan on a gas oven and stain the starch. You can also boil the vegetables in oven a strain them. Make sure that the rice is ¾ cooked.
2) Perform the steps 3,4 & 5 in a microwave as directed in microwave with the boiled rice and steamed vegetable.
3) To make a non-veg variant above rice recipe, chicken pieces and prawns can also be added along wiht the vegetables.
Hot Garlic Chicken
250 gm chicken (boneless cut into cubes),
2 tbsp vegetable oil,
2 spring onions (chopped0,
10-15 garlic flakes(chopped),
3tbsp tomato sauce,
2 tbsp chilly sauce,
1 tsp soya sauce,
1 pinch ajinomoto,
1 tsp sugar,
1 Cup water,
2 tbsp cornflour( dissolved in ½ cup of water),
Salt, Pepper( to taste).
1) In a microwave safe bowl add 1 tbsp of oil, chicken pieces, ¼ cup water, salt and microwave covered at 100% for 3-4 minutes. Keep aside.
2) In another microsafe bowl add 2 tbsp of oil, garlic and chopped onion and microwave for 3-4 minutes at 100% power.
3) Now add rest of the ingredients ( except capsicum & cornflour) and mix it well in microwave covered for 5-6 minutes at 100% power. Stir in between.
4) To this add cooked chicken pieces as in step 1, chopped ccapsicum, water and cornflour(dissolved in ½ cup water) and microwave covered for 3-4 minutes at 100% power. Stir in between. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
5) Serve hot with fried rice.
1. Clarify butter by heating cream (approx. 250 gm) on Micro 60 for 16 minutes.
2. Increase shelf life of Sooji, Dalia, Idli rawa and other nuts and pulses by microwaving them on Micro high for 2-3 minutes (approx. 500 gm) This helps remove the moisture from these food items thus increasing their shelf life, especially in damp weather conditions.