After 3 recipes of Khichri published earlier, I am back with more khichri recipes from the kitchen of Bengal. This is the festive season in West Bengal and Khichdi is made as the main rice item in most of the household during any Puja.
Chal Daler Khichuri is the Khichri which is mostly made in any Bengali household at any time of the year while Potato Cauliflower Khichri is a delicacy to any Bengali during the winters. The flavour of cauliflower embedded in the Khichri makes the recipe mouth watering.
Chal Daler Khichuri
1 ½ cup Rice
1 cup Moong Dal
½ cup Matar Dal
½ cup Cholar Dal
¾ cup Coconut — Grated
Ghee and mustard oil for frying
1 Inch Cinnamon
2 Bay Leaves
1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
2 Red Chilles
2 tbsp of ginger paste
4 Green Chilles
Tsp of turmeric powder
1 Tsp Sugar
Salt to taste
1) Roast the moong dal in a thick bottomed pan or kadai. Fry the dal till the aroma comes out.
2) Boil all the dals except the moong dal together till they are cooked. Add grated coconut to it. Add a tsp of salt while boiling the dals.
3) Heat mustard oil and ghee in another frying pan.
4) Add the bay leaves followed by the garam masala.
5) Fry for 2 min and then add the grated ginger and chillies.
6) Add the rice and the roasted moong dal and fry.
7) Add the ginger, turmeric powder and green chillies.
8 ) Fry for 2 minutes and then add the boiled dal to it.
9) When the rice and dal are cooked, add salt and sugar. Mix well.
10)Make sure that the consistency of the khichdi is not too watery. People prefer to have this khichdi a bit dry and of thick consistency.
11) To serve, top it with a spoonful of ghee and serve hot with fried papad.
Cauliflower Potato Khichuri
Rice: 1 ½ cup
Moong dal : 1 cup
Potatoes: 2 medium sized
Cauliflower: one medium sized
Green Peas : ½ cup
Cumin seed: 1/2 tsp
Green chilli sliced: 1
Sugar: 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Bay leaf: 1 pc
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
Red chilli : 1-2 nos
Cumin powder: 1/4 tsp
Ghee for frying
Water: 4 cup
1) Take the moong dal and roast it till light golden.
2) Cut the potatoes and cauliflower into big chunks.
3) Heat ghee and add the cumin seeds, bayleaves, red chillies and let it sizzle.
4) Add the potato and cauliflower pieces.
5) Fry until the potatoes and the cauliflower is light brown.
6) Mix the cumin powder with a spoonful of water to make a paste and add it to the fried potato and cauliflower.
7) Add the rice and stir well. Add the dal, the rest of the spices, peas, water and close the lid of the pan.
8 ) It is done when the dal (pulse) and rice are completely cooked and have a semi-solid consistency. To serve – pour 1 tsp of ghee over the top of it and serve hot with fried hilsa fish.
1) You can also prepare Khichdi in pressure cooker in the same way as above. After frying all the ingredients as mentioned and adding water close the lid of the pressure cooker and wait for 2-3 whistles.