‘Criticism’ is not something that people welcome gladly. The reason is simple and plain. It’s not easy to endure being criticized. It is true that criticism can often be painful. But what makes it a tragedy is nothing but our own poor handling of it. Never react to a criticism with emotions; but only with intelligence.
To err is human
All of us diplomatically say that no one is perfect and that erring is human. But then why some of us fail to show any diplomacy when someone points out a mistake committed by us? Facing criticism positively is a skill to be learnt; by one and all.
Have you thought of how the most popular business icons perform forever well? What makes them capable of achieving this entire splendor, other than with hard work and will? Their success lies in the way they accept criticism. They view criticism as an opportunity for betterment, as an option to benefit from and as a means for advancement. In short they are accepting criticism DIFFERENTLY. They are HAPPY with feedback, whether it be constructive or destructive.
What can be done to take criticism cordially?
Here are some steps you could take to have a graceful view of criticism.
- Be a good listener- Take some time to listen to what the other guy is saying. If you abruptly over react to the other person, without knowing about what he is actually intending to say, you are likely to miss an angle for improvement.
- Keep cool- Never lose your control over criticisms. It can only make things worse. More than losing valuable information about your performance, your lack of self-control shows how less poised you are. Well, if you feel under pressure, hold your palms together and take deep breaths. This can calm you down make you feel better.
- Intellect over emotions- It’s natural for people to be emotional over things that hurt. This happens when our approach is subjective (personal). If we could view things objectively (impartially), we can have better focus on the matter. Without being carried away by emotions, try to rely on your wisdom and think how the criticism can work better for you.
- Realize your mistake- Those who cannot accept their mistakes cannot benefit from criticism. Criticism is in a way of pointing out errors, unless it’s a misapprehension. When you can wholeheartedly take up the responsibility of your mistake, you can view criticism as a stepping stone to success. Feedback undoubtedly can reduce errors and promote accuracy.
- Comprehend the intention of the criticizer- Whenever you receive a feedback, take steps to understand the intention of the person who states it. Since criticism paves way to progress, consider it even if it may seem discouraging. Also don’t forget to thank him for his concern while mentioning that you expect the same from him in future.
- Take remedial measures- After considering the criticism, take proper curative measures. Research on how to correct your performance in future. You can also consult others, including the one who provided the feedback for suggestions for improvement.