For all of us success means fruitfully achieving something. Therefore we always believe in the proverb- “nothing succeeds like success”. Life has to be a cumulative term of different versions of successes. Success in life means a bountiful living in terms of material, marital and professional spheres. Again the word “success” is viewed critically by different persons. You may be very accomplished in your profession but not successful.
There are different yardsticks to measure success. Let’s discuss some of them;
- Being accomplished in one art, craft and profession does not mean success- We can not recognize a person’s skill as success. Possessing skill for a certain art is one thing but selling the skill successfully is another feat. Success is different from accomplishment.
- Success at one point does not guarantee success at the next and higher stage- You might have seen, girls and guys acting extremely well in one school or college drama. But does it guarantee their success in a larger competition? May be yes? May be not. Consistent striving can only assure you success in the long run.
- There is difference between “Success” and “True success”- Success is best perceived as the ongoing achievements at various stages of life. Suppose you have got a good job and then keep on climbing in the ladder of promotions. You buy house and then vehicles. Other material benefits keep on accruing. But this is only an example of material success. This does not ensure success because such a one can not add “glory” to you life. There are actors and actresses who are commercially very successful. But all of them are not given awards for life time achievements nor the highest honor of the nation for their contribution to acting.
- Your interpretation of “success” can be a different cry from others- You might be consciously carrying a “feel good” thought about your own success. Others might play it down. It is simply due to the fact that your own version of success is just very common one among hundreds of thousands of such instances. It is therefore a pearl of wisdom that you need not add your “ego” to your own case of success.
- Your success is your destiny- It is usually accepted by one and all that the farthest extent your life has taken you is known as your destiny. No one gets beyond the destiny. It is not unusual that you rebel against the conception of destiny and keep on fighting. That is the true instinct of a real fighter. You may win or not but your example remains ideal for others to fight.
- Your dismal failure can be enlightening for others to succeed - Just tell us how many persons failed to climb the Everest till Edmond Hillary succeeded. Those who failed only gave vital clues and inspirations to others to succeed. One failed struggler can be an inspiration for hundreds of thousands. Therefore failure is the beacon of success. Wise say “failures are the pillars of success”
- Success is transient- However brilliant you might be, another person will break your record of performance. Just take for example cricketer Sunil Gavaskar broke the record of the legendary Don Brad man. Time bestows success on you and again time humiliates by snatching it away from your hands. So success lasts only for a time period.
- Success is fully dependent on the concept of Karma- The scriptures speak volumes about the true philosophy of “karma”, meaning deeds are the main catalysts for success and failure. “Reap as you have sown”- says the philosophic truth behind success. “Karma” is recognized as the chief factor behind success by all the religions.
- Nothing succeeds like success - However you might deny, success has remained the chief motive of living. Life appears very monotonous and painful in the absence of professional and material successes. In fact, life is measured only by success not vice-versa.