Honey is a term which is as sweet as its taste. We have been using honey for more than 2000 years and there’s hardly any land that hasn’t credited its benefits or a civilization that hasn’t glorified its value. It holds a prominent place in Ayurveda as well as in modern medicine. Even now a lot of research is being conducted to know more about its medicinal value.
Why is honey so widely used?
The one reason for this could be the ease in its consumption. Honey is a great source of natural fruit sugar and carbohydrates. It can be taken either directly or with other sources. In any way it’s good. It is a good substitute for sugar since 69% of honey is made up of glucose and fructose.
The health benefits of honey
The health benefits of honey are countless. Some of them are:
- As an energy booster: Honey can greatly enhance your performance and reduce fatigue. A spoonful of honey before workout could give you extra energy. It is also good for relieving pain and stress.
- As an immunity enhancer: It has been proved beyond doubt that honey is a perfect immunity builder. The anti-oxidants in it protect you from diseases and fungal infections while improving your digestion.
- As a prevention against cancer: Honey has anti-carcinogen properties and consuming it on a regular basis reduces the risk of cancer.
- As a weight loss inducer: Honey helps to put out weight. Mix a spoon of honey with warm water and find out how fast you lose the fat stored in your body.
- As a skin vitalizer: Honey is being widely used for skin care. When consumed with milk, it can brighten your skin.
- As a natural source of vitamins and minerals: Honey is a good source of vitamins and minerals vital for sustaining proper health and immunity.
- As an antioxidant: Honey, rich in neutraceuticals is a good body cleanser. It helps to remove body toxins and fosters better immunity.
Other than for health enrichment, honey is also widely used for medicinal purposes. It helps to shed weariness and increase mental capability.
Honey can be used by all irrespective of their health condition and age.
Honey is a good source of nutrition for infants. It can cure constipation, ulcer and liver problems. Honey assists in normal kidney functioning and getting good sleep. It also helps to fight heart diseases.
The medicinal uses of honey.
Honey can be effectively used as a medicine for the following ailments.
- Arthritis: Honey gives instant relief to arthritis pain when mixed with lukewarm water and cinnamon powder and applied to the affected area.
- Hair loss: Mix a tablespoon of honey with olive oil and cinnamon powder, apply and wash off after 15 minutes.
- Bad breath: Gargling a spoon of honey with cinnamon will keep away bad breath.
- Pimples: Make a paste of honey and cinnamon. Apply it overnight and wash off on the next morning.
- Sore throat: Mix two spoons of honey with four spoons of lemon juice and a pinch of salt and gargle it.
- Cuts and burns: Applying honey stimulates healing process and relieves burning sensation.
Now that you know the benefits of honey why back off? Have it and enjoy the treat!