On a Christmas day, the recipe that I can think of sharing is a yummy chocolate cake. Now we all buy delicious cakes from confectionaries but if we can make a small cake even at home, then the enjoyment of the festive day is doubled.
As I always say that cooking should be an enjoyment and should not be restricted because of unavailability of resources. If we do not have a resource then we should think intelligently to get an alternative. The most important thing for baking a cake is an “oven”. If we do not have a simple oven or a microwave we think that we cannot bake cakes at home. Ladies, this is a misconception. We can even bake cakes in pressure cooker. I have always seen my mom preparing cakes in pressure cooker since we did not have microwave oven before. But now also she prefers pressure cooker over microwave. And to be very honest, I found that cakes prepared in pressure cooker are more soft and spongy than the ones cooked in microwaves. May be the reason is that the steam in pressure cooker makes the cake a bit soft while cakes in microwave are a bit dry as there is no steam [just a guess from my side 8) ].
1 cup flour,
1 cup sugar,
1 cup solid white butter,
3 tbs. cocoa,
1 tsp. baking powder,
1 tsp. instant coffee,
a few drop vanilla essence,
1/2 cup water.,
2 milk chocolate bars.
1) Take the sugar in a grinder and grind it to powder.
2) Now sieve the flour, baking powder, cocoa, and coffee 2-3 times so that all the dry ingredients are well mixed.
3) Now add the powdered sugar to flour mixture and mix well.
4) Melt the butter and slowly add the butter to the flour mixture.
5) Whip the eggs in another pan and slowly add the flour to it with constant stirring so that no lumps are formed.
6) Whip the mixture for 10-15 minutes so that a uniform mixture is formed.
7) Take a aluminum bowl and grease it with a tsp of butter. Now take a small aluminum glass and grease it too. Place the glass just in the middle of the pan in an inverted position.
8 ) Slowly pour the mixture the greased pan in such a way that the cup is in middle of the pan. In this way if you take out the glass from the cake after baking then a hollow will be formed in the middle of the cake. The cake will resemble a tyre like shape.
9) Now take a pressure cooker and add water to it. Bring the water to boil.
10) Place the bowl filled with batter in the pressure cooker. Make sure that the level of water is half the height of the bowl.
11) Now place the lid of the pressure cooker. Don’t put the weight on the pressure cooker. Let the steam release from the vent.
12) Place the pressure cooker on medium flame for 30 minutes.
13) Take a thin sleek stick and insert it through the vent in the lid of the pressure cooker. If the stick comes out clean then the cake is baked properly.
14) Open the lid of the pressure cooker and invert it over the serving dish. Take out the cup from the middle of the cake carefully.
15) To make the chocolate sauce, take the chocolate pieces in a bowl. Take a pan and boil some water in it. Place the bowl of chocolate pieces in the pan of boiling water. Within 2 minutes the chocolate will melt. Now pour this chocolate over the cake and refrigerate.
1) The above recipe is a simple chocolate cake recipe. If you wish you can also add raisins, fruit pieces, nuts in the cake mixture to make fruit cake.
2) For decoration you can also use chocolate sauce as available in the market instead of melting chocolate pieces.
I will be coming up with simple innovate ideas to decorate cake in home in my forth coming write ups. Please wait till then.