Losing hair is a problem every individual is likely to come across in life. We all know that hair grow in cycles such as the growing phase-when your hair grow, resting phase- when it enters a phase of rest and shedding phase- when it falls out. Losing upto 100 hairs on a daily basis is quite normal.
There is nothing to worry about normal hair fall since each hair is replaced by a new one.
If a person loses a lot of hair, especially after a bath or combing and hair becomes thinner day by day, it can be abnormal hair loss where medical assistance is required. Men usually lose hair in a specific pattern from the front to the crown, caused by the hormone, androgen, whereas women usually experience thinning of hair.
Causes of abnormal hair fall
- Major surgery- A person who has undergone a major surgery will have a period of vast hair loss which may sometimes require medical help to reverse.
- Childbirth- Certain hormones, during pregnancy, sustain hair that are likely to fall out on a normal course. But after delivery, a lot of hair is lost as hair resumes the natural growth and loss cycle.
- Thyroid disease- Hair fall is usual with thyroid disease or malfunction. But this kind of hair fall can be completely cured with proper treatment.
- Cancer treatment procedures- Chemotherapy, indispensable in cancer treatment can promote hair thinning and breakage. The subject loses hair all over his body. When the treatment comes to an end, hair grows back.
- Medications- Certain medicines for arthritis, pimples and heart diseases induce hair fall even if for a small period of time.
- Iron deficiency- Low iron is another reason for increased hair fall. This can be detected and corrected with proper diagnosis and treatment.
- Alopecia areata- This is a condition in which a person loses hair, resulting in smooth round patches on the head. This affects people regardless of age or sex.
- Fungal infections like dandruff- Fungal infections on the head ultimately results in hair loss. Some of the common fungal infections are dandruff and ringworm infection.
- Inappropriate diet- People who jump into a self-made diet without proper knowledge, are likely to endure malnutrition. This in turn triggers excessive hair fall.
- Birth control pills- It had been observed that women who take birth control pills regularly have the problems of hair fall and thinning.
- Stress- Stress is a prominent reason for hair fall which is found even in children. Proper management of stress can eliminate such hair loss.
How to treat your hair fall?
Most of the causes of hair loss can be cured if proper and timely treatment is undergone. So it is always the best to start an early treatment to obtain better results. The hair fall resulting from medications, childbirth and surgery are generally seen to reverse when the process is over. In the case of infections, anti-fungal treatments would do well. Though there is no ultimate cure for baldness, treatment is available. ‘Propecia’ is such a medicine for men and ‘Rogaine’ is another one that can be used by both men and women.
Tips to prevent hair loss
Here are some tips you could use to control hair loss.
- Avoid using shampoos regularly.
- Adhere to herbal hair care products as far as possible.
- Be gentle and careful while combing or handling your hair to avoid breakage.
- Add a lot of vitamins and proteins into your diet as it help to vitalize hair follicles and stimulate hair growth.
- Eat well, sleep well and drink plenty of water.