Garlic Fish fry
Time required : 20 minutes,
Serves : 8-10 people.
Bhetki Fish – 1kg,
Onion – 2 medium size,
Ginger – 2 inches piece,
Garlic paste – 2-3 tbsp,
Garlic cloves – 10-12 nos.
Vinegar – 2-3 tbsp,
Green chilly – 3-4 nos,
Chilly powder – 1tsp (optional),
Soya sauce – 1tsp,
Corn flour – 1 cup,
Salt to taste
1) Grind the onion, ginger and 2 green chillies to a fine paste. Make sure that you are not adding the garlic while making this paste.
2) Now wash the fish and cut them into cubes of 1 inches size. Coat it with the garlic paste and leave for 10-15 minutes.
3) After 15 minutes, add the onion-ginger-chilly paste to the fish. Add vinegar and salt. Keep the marinated fish for 30 minutes.
4) Now to prepare the batter, take the corn flour and salt, chilly powder and soya sauce and mix well. Add water to make a thick smooth paste.
5) Now take the garlic cloves and smash them with the end of a spatula. Chop the remaining 2 chilies.
6) Heat oil in a pan to fry the marinated fish. First add the smashed garlic and chopped chilies in the oil and fry them until they are dark brown and crispy. With the help of a spatula, take out these fried garlic and chilly flakes from the heated oil.
7) By frying the garlic and chilly in this way, we have flavoured the oil in which the fish will be fried and as a result the garlic flavour and the spiciness of chilly will be embedded in the fish fry.
8) Don’t discard the fried garlic flakes and chilly pieces. Keep them aside in a plate. After a while mash them into powder by pressing with your thumb.
9) Now dip the marinated fish in the batter as prepared in step 4 and fry in the flavoured oil. Fry until they are golden brown.
10) Fry 4-5 pieces at a time so that all the fishes are properly fried.
11) After all the fishes are fried, pour out the oil in a bowl.
12) Now in the same pan, add 2-3 tbsp of the same flavoured oil that was taken out and heat it.
13) Then add all the fried fish pieces. Squeeze the juice of a lemon over the fried fish. Sprinkle the garlic and chilly powder as prepared in step 8 over the fried fish. Toss the fish fries so that the lemon juice and the garlic chilly powder are evenly coated.
14) Serve hot with green chilly coriander chutney.
Green Chilly Coriander Chutney
Coriander Leaves – 1 small bowl,
Green Chilly – 1-2 nos,
Lemon juice – 1tbsp,
Curd – 2 tbsp
1. Wash the coriander leaves.
2. Take the coriander leaves, green chilly and mint leaves in a mixie and grind to a smooth paste.
3. Add salt and lemon juice to the green coriander paste and mix well.
4. Add the curd to it and the coriander chutney is ready to be served with Garlic Fish Fry.
Please Note: If you want the flavour of garlic to be embedded in any recipe you are preparing then you can fry the garlic first in the oil till it is brown and then discard them. Similarly if you want the food to have hint of chilly then fry the chilly flakes in the oil and then discard them. In this way you can flavour the oil in which the dish will be prepared and the flavour of garlic and chilly will be embedded in all the ingredients used.