Egg Salad Sandwich is the most extensively made sandwich at home. The basic ingredient for egg salad sandwich are a few pieces of hard boiled egg, chopped onion, tomato & a dressing. This may not be the best Egg Salad Sandwich as I used did not like very much. But later when I stayed outside my home town due to my job, I used to make this sandwich most of the times during breakfast. But I always tried to make the sandwich yummy with the ingredients that I had in my kitchen or refrigerator. Every time my egg salad sandwich tasted different as I used different ingredients every time.
All my experiments with different ingredients did taste good every time and was also appreciated by my roomies. The egg salad sandwich is also healthy as I used a lot of green vegetables. You can cut down the cheese and mayonnaise and use any other dressing. This is also a very good tiffin item for kids.
To make any sandwich there are 4 basic items are required:
- Greens & Vegetables for Layering (optional)
Bread – The most available bread in every household are the white sliced breads. If you are health conscious you can also use brown bread. You can also use round or long buns for making sandwiches. Just take any bread and slice them horizontally with the help of a knife. Slicing a bun requires a bit of skill which you can achieve by practicing once or twice. Make sure that your knife is very sharp to cut the bread into two halves.
Making the Filling – To make the filling for Egg salad sandwich, the ingredients required are :
- 4 Hard boiled eggs – cut into small cubes,
- 1 small onion – cut into small cubes,
- ½ cup cucumber – cut into small cubes,
- ½ cup tomatoes – into small cubes,
- ½ cup cabbage – thinly shredded,
- ½ cup grated carrot,
- ¼ cup corn.
You might use all the above ingredients or may choose some of the ingredients along with Egg & onion. You may add any other ingredients of your choice to this. I personally prefer to add small boiled chicken cubes along with the hard boiled eggs. All the measurement of the above ingredients may be altered as per your taste.
Preparing the Dressing :
For a 4 egg salad recipe, I generally use 2 tablespoon of dressing.
- Mayonnaise : The most common dressing is mayonnaise. But you can spice it up in many ways. You can spice it up by adding pepper, salt, parsley or oregano. Nowadays all these spices and herbs are easily available in the departmental stores. Even if you don’t have, there is nothing to worry you can just add pepper and salt.
- Cheese Spread : Sometimes, I used to replace mayonnaise with simple cheese spread. Nowadays many flavored cheese spread are available in the market. You can use these cheese spread as dressing. If you have a simple cheese spread just add a pinch of salt & pepper to it to spice it up.
- Olive Oil : If you are vey health conscious & want to avoid mayonnaise or cheese, then take 2 tbsp of olive oil and add a pinch of salt & pepper to it. Then mix the spices with the oil thoroughly. Use this as a dressing to your salad.
- Sauces : Alternatively mustard sauce, white sauce, tomato sauce or any spicy sauce can be used for dressing. You can also use pickle oil for dressing. But be careful about the quantity if the oil used. If the pickle is too spicy then your sandwich might also become spicy.
Greens & Vegetables for Layering
Layering of the greens and vegetables is the most important part of any sandwich making. The more elegantly you layer your sandwich, the tastier it looks.
- Thinly sliced Onions,
- Thinly sliced Cucumbers,
- Thinly sliced tomatoes,
- Cabage leaves,
- Lettuce leaves,
- Cheese slices
Sandwich Preparation :
Now after accumulating all the 4 main items for sandwich lets start making the sandwich.
- To make the sandwich, first take 3 slices of bread. On 2 bread slices, spread a tsp of butter. Coat the third piece with tomato sauce on both the slices.
- Now mix all the ingredients for fillings in a bowl and mix well. Add the dressing of your choice and mix well to form a uniform mixture.
- Take a dish and place a bread which is coated butter with the coated surface facing up.
- Place a celery leaf on top of the bread coated with butter. Then place 2-3 slices of tomato. Spread 2 tbsp of filling on top of it. Then place 2-3 cucumber pieces. Cover this with the bread coated with tomato sauce on both the sides.
- Place a cabbage/celery leaf on top of the second bread and then 2-3 onion slices. Spread another layer of filling. Place a piece of cheese slice on top it. Cover with the second slice of bread.
- Serve hot with ketch up. If you wish you can also grill the sandwich.
* Remember there are no hard rules while layering. You can layer as per your choice to make the sandwich look beautiful.
- You can add a bit variation to your sandwich by using 2 dressing. After mixing all the filling ingredients, divide the filling into 2 equal halves. Now add the first dressing (say mayonnaise) in the first half and mix well. In the second portion, add mustard sauce and mix well.
- While layering the sandwich, place the mayonnaise dressed fillings first as mentioned in Step 4. Then while use the mustard dressed filling while spreading the fillings for the second time in step 5.
- While layering you can also squeeze a tsp of tomato or white sauce between layers of vegetables.
4) You can also place the filling on top of a bread and grill bread with the topping.