Daab chingri -A recipe of prawns, spicy chillies and mustard gentled by the sweetness of coconut milk cooked inside a tender green coconut. “Daab” means in “Green Coconut” & “Chingri” means Prawns. This is an exotic recipe which is known for its unforgettable taste and aroma.
• Prawns- 750gm, small, peeled (but with tails left on)
• Onions- 2, sliced.
• Salt- ltsp
• Turmeric Powder ½ tsp.
• Green chillies- 3-4, slit.
• Coconut milk- 1 cup.
• Mustard paste -1 cup,
• Mustard oil- 2tbsp, sharp.
• Tender Green coconut- 1 tender, top lopped off and water drained.
• Wheat / Flour Dough- A small ball to support coconut while cooking.
1. Shell, de vein and wash the prawns.
2.Mix the prawns with onions, turmeric, coconut milk, mustard paste uniformly. Keep the marinated prawns for 1-2 hours.
3. Stuff the marinated prawns into the green coconut. Drizzle in oil. If top has been chopped off in one piece, you can put it back as a “lid”. To make sure that the lid do not slid, put a ring of the maida dough along the circumference of the lid and then put it on top of the coconut. If you do not have the “lid” then you can close the tip of the coconut with aluminum foil.
4. Now to keep the coconut shell erect while cooking, place another ring of the dough in the microwave and place the coconut on top of it so that it does not tilt.
5. Set coconut on turntable of microwave oven, supported by dough ring. Cook on Medium (70-80 percent power) for atleast 1 hour. Since the green coconut shell is thick it takes and hour to cook.Let it stand for 5 minutes.
6. Carefully remove the coconut from the dough base and place it on a large serving platter – let it tilt and fall open.
7. Serve with rice.
Quick And Easy Method : The above way to cook prawns in green coconut shell is the traditional way to cook. But in today’s world it is very hard for us to devote so much time for any recipe. So to make it less time consuming, put the marinated the prawns in a microwave safe bowl and put the mustard oil over it. Microwave the prawns for 20-25 minutes at 80% power. Once done place the microwaved prawns in the green coconut and then microwave for another 10 minutes so that the aroma of the green coconut is embedded into the recipe.
Vegetarian Variation : Put away the daab (tender coconut) and coconut milk as these watery vegetables will ooze moisture. Instead, use lauki or tori or parwal respectively, cut into thin slices. Simply cook the vegetables with the other components in a covered shallow container on low heat – the moisture from the vegetables supplies its own steam. Garnish with shredded coconut.
Each Serving : Makes: 4 servings. (About 508 Calories, 40.3gm protein, 13.4gm carbohydrate, 32.8gm total fat (21.l5gm saturated), 4.4gm fibre, 283.75mg cholesterol, 875mg sodium).