Caramel Apple pancake is a variation in the normal pan cake we make. But the taste is totally different from the pancakes due to the use of caramel. Though the dish looks elegant and tastes good, it is easy to prepare and can be eaten in breakfast or in evening snacks or as a dessert. You can also satisfy your sudden guests with this exotic apple recipe and leave them wondering how you prepared such a wonderful dish in minutes.
5 Tbsp. butter
½ cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 -2 medium sized apples; thinly sliced
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Salt – 1 pinch
1 cup milk
3 Tbsp. melted butter
Method to make Batter:
1) In medium bowl measure flour and add sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift together.
2) In a different bowl whisk the egg and add it to the flour mixture, stirring until smooth. If the batter is very thick to pour add milk to it. If you are a vegetarian you can increase the amount of milk instead of egg.
Method to make the Caramel Pancake :
1) Heat a frying pan and sauté the butter. Add the brown sugar to it. Cook on a medium flame till the sugar melts.
2) Add the cinnamon powder to the caramel and fry for 1-2 minutes.
3) Add the apple slices to the caramel and fry for 3-4 minutes till the apples are evenly coated with the caramel and becomes a bit tender.
4) Once the apple is caramelized add the batter over the apple slices covering it evenly.
5) Keep the frying pan on the oven on medium heat till the entire batter along with the caramelized apple is baked properly.
6) Once the aroma of the caramel is released, flip the apple pan cake with the help of a spatula so that the caramelized coating of the pan cake is on the upper edge. Fry the other end for 3-4 minutes.
7) Serve hot or chilled with the caramelized surface on top.
Microwave Version :
1) Pre heat the oven at 80% power.
2) Take a microwave safe bowl (medium sized) and add butter to it. Melt the butter and then add the brown sugar.
3) Cook for 4-5 minutes at 80% power till the sugar melts.
4) Add the cinnamon powder and microwave for 1 minute.
5) Stir the caramel with a spatula so that the sugar and cinnamon mixes well. Place the apple slices evenly on top of the caramel and bake for 2-3 minutes at 80% power.
6) Then pour the batter evenly over the slices apple and caramel mixture evenly and microwave for 15-20 minutes at 80% power. Make sure that you bake until the edges are golden brown.
7) Let the pancake stand as it is for 10 minutes.
8 ) Invert on a serving dish and cut into slices and serve hot or chilled.
To Garnish and Serve:
1) You can put a scoop of ice-cream over the caramel pancake and serve.
2) Top each slice of pancake with whipped cream and serve.
3) Another option is to put a spoonful of caramel over each slice you serve. When you are preparing the caramel for this recipe, just make sure that you increase the proportion of butter and sugar. Once the caramel is prepared, keep aside a part of the caramel and use the rest of the caramel to prepare the recipe. While serving pour a spoonful of caramel that was kept aside over each slices and serve.
1) You can use buttermilk instead of milk while making the batter.
2) To make the pancake more interesting, raisins and nuts can be also added along with the apple slices to the caramel.
3) If you do not have brown sugar then you can use normal sugar as well.
4) You can make this recipe more vibrant by using a mixture of fruits like pineapple, orange, strawberry, pomegranate along with the apple pieces.